CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom


Gathering Activity: We played with magnetic letters, alphabet puzzles,and read alphabet themed stories.

Circle Time: We read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault. We sang ABC songs and acted out the story with flannel board pieces, over and over and over again! They loved making the letters crash to the floor.

Art Activity:  Chicka Boom Trees
Materials Needed: crayons, paper, ABC stickers
Directions: Trace each of your child's hands with a green crayon for the top of the tree.  (Why do kids love having their hands traced?).   Help them draw a trunk with a brown crayon and then color in the tree.  Have fun sticking on the letters to complete the tree.  Our kids had a great time making the letters fall down the tree.




Snack: We ate Scrabble Cheez-its, cheese cubes, and grapes.  Then we helped crack open a coconut to see what was inside.  Using a hammer was so much fun!  We tried the coconut milk and meat.



Playtime: Rice Exploration and ABC Freeze Dancing
(We were having too much fun that I forgot to take pics of this activity today!  Oops!  But I think you can get the idea).
Rice Exploration: We hid wooden ABC letters in a bucket of rice.  The children sifted through until they found all 26 and then we tried to place them in order.
ABC Freeze Dancing: We placed ABC flash cards on the floor and danced around to fun music.  When the music stopped, we each ran to a letter and with our mom's help (if needed), named the letter we were standing on.
 

1 comments:

Mama Durso

Just stumbled onto your blog and this one caught my eye. My boys LOVE Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and would really enjoy having some extension activities. Thank you very much for sharing your ideas. I'm looking forward to perusing the rest of the posts you have up!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from the readers of my blog. It makes my day! I have recently had a lot of inappropriate spam that has snuck through, so I am turning on the moderation of comments for a short time, to see if it helps. I am so sorry for any inconvience this may cause, but I want to remain a family friendly blog. -Danielle @Mommy and Me Book Club